The holy month of Ramadan is considered to be the most vital and most sacred month of the Islamic calendar. Muslims firmly believe that the Holy Gabriel descended from heaven during this month of Ramadan and sent a message to Islam’s Prophet.
During the month of Ramadan, Muslims raise their level of spiritual and physical submission to God through fasting. This means that Muslims refrain from eating, drinking, smoking, and intimacy between husband and wife from sunrise to sunset.
Tips to make Fasting easy during Ramadan
(1)- Increase the amount of water in Sehr and Iftar to get your body in the optimal state of hydration. During Ramadan, the water level in the body decreases, and especially in the heat of April and May, the rate of decrease gets even worse.
(2)- Eat less but eat healthily. By eating more food at Sehr, the body becomes accustomed to eating more. To reduce the number of calories in your body, eat foods high in protein instead of fatty foods.
(3)- Ramadan is the best source of reduction in the consumption of Coffee and Tea.
(4)- The time you set the alarm for waking up every day, set the alarm a little earlier than the Sehri time every day from today. If you usually get up at 3:30 in the morning, try to get up at 3’o clock in the morning and then at half-past one in the morning.
(5)- Stop drinking soft drinks and snacks. If you stop using all snacks and soft drinks except water and fresh juices from today until the end of Ramadan, then during fasting, the body will not have much difficulty adapting to this new change because you are skipping one big meal that means lunch.
Tips for the patients with high blood pressure
Saudi Ministry of Health has issued five tips for patients with high blood pressure during Ramadan. According to the LOCAL news, the Ministry of Health has launched a particular health awareness campaign, ‘Ish Basha’ (Live with Health).
(1)- The Ministry of Health says that before fasting, see a doctor and ask him if you can fast.
(2)- Take high blood pressure medication as soon as you read Taraweeh so that your body has got the required amount of fluid by that time. If you forget to take medicine, do not double the dose the next day.
(3)- Minimize salt intake as salt intake raises blood pressure.
(4)- Make low-fat milk a part of your diet as it contains ingredients that help lower blood pressure.
(5)- Besides, Dr. Khalid Al-Nimr, a cardiologist, said that blood pressure medication should not be taken during Iftar in Ramadan. Take medicine for chronic high blood pressure every day. Do not take medication when not needed.
Tips for Diabetics patients during Ramadan
Saudi Ministry of Health has issued health tips for patients with diabetics during Ramadan. People with diabetes should take special precautions during the month of Ramadan so that they do not face any difficult situations.
- Dr. Al-Jahni says that most people with diabetes belong to ‘type two’ for whom fasting is beneficial, but patients with ‘type one’ should be careful in fasting because their sugar level suddenly becomes less or more.
- Dr. Nasir Al-Jahni further said that in addition to people suffering from Tight One disease, diabetic patients undergoing ‘pregnancy’ or those who also suffer from other epidemic diseases with diabetes should consult their doctor about RAMADAN fast
- Dr. Al-Jahni added that a proper diet should be ensured at Sahar and Iftar, containing adequate amounts of protein and carbohydrates.
- Diabetics should consume adequate amounts of fruits, prefer fresh vegetable salads, heart, beans, and brown rice in addition to barley.
- Use brown bread instead of white flour bread and brown rice instead of white rice.
- Don’t use too many dates. Only three dates can be taken in Iftar. Do not take more than that.
- Use fresh fruit instead of fresh juice as sugar is also used in making the juice.
- Do light exercise at least 3 hours after Iftar. Use as much water as possible after Iftar and till Sehri.
- Keep checking your sugar even during fasting.
- Patients with type 1 may feel that their blood sugar level is falling during fasting. They may feel ‘tremors’ in the body, excessive sweating, feeling of fast or weak heartbeat, dizziness, and blood sugar level suddenly rises to 70 if it is less than, they should immediately break their fast and drink half a glass of juice or something sweet.
- Dr. Al-Jahni added that if a person’s sugar level exceeds 300, he should also drink tea and see a doctor immediately.